Some confusion arose when we started including the Firebase package as a Bower dependency, however-- it took a while to get at the root of the problem, but it boiled down to: we'd been running sh scripts that ran bowcat with its --min option, which will concatenate minified versions of the dependencies it finds. Turns out that Firebase doesn't have a minified version, and so bowcat hadn't been including it in the concatenated file it was generating.
Four lines and a pull request later, and I've made my first open source contribution! I just had bowcat rerun its filename-gathering procedure sans the --min option if it wasn't coming up with any files for a particular package (it does this on a per-package basis).
It's pretty thrilling to have contributed something (albeit small, but gotta start somewhere) that really gets used by people. I hope that one day I'll be able to say that it was the first of many such contributions.
Thanks to AjayMT!